So, this is something pretty spiffy, and a lot of people have set it up already, provided nice walkthroughs, etc. Since there are many good walkthroughs already (like here or here), I won't go into too much detail. It's stunningly simple to set up, if you don't mind manually pulling the module's source out of version control and building it yourself.
auth [default=ignore success=1] pam_succeed_if.so quiet user notingroup secure auth required pam_google_authenticator.so
- Oh shit, white stuff? (And no, not cocaine, kids.) Really. The moment this mysterious "white stuff" appears, people's brains immediately fly out the window, and traffic comes to a grinding halt. The roads could be perfectly fine, but it doesn't matter. Top speeds are 45MPH in a 70.
- We don't need no stinkin' brakes! Shortly after the snow has been on the ground, people immediately believe the roads will have magically improved. It could be 1 minute or 1 day after the plows go through, but immediately speeds are back up to and BEYOND the speed limit. All this occurs when there is still visible ice on the roads, so any attempt to stop at those speeds would be an exercise in futility. Also, it follows that extreme tailgating becomes a popular passtime in this phase.
- Traction? What's that? It really seems that the people committing offenses #1 and #2 are also the people least suited to be in a snowstorm. That's right, giant SUVs and rear-wheel drive trucks. Most trucks haven't even bothered to weight the bed with any type of snow, and it shows as they fishtail their way down the interstate. Also, I see a surprising number of minivans and SUVs along the side of the road, in rather precarious positions from various spins. I guess the pickups manage to find a way to pull themselves out. Hurrah for that, at least.
- I ramble
- I change the topic without any warning
- I will probably go into more detail than you ever cared to know
Where it goes from here? Who knows, but the journey has to start from somewhere.